Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mysore, India



Every time I think I have my need-to-visit destination list in its proper order of importance, some article or book enlightens me on a new place which then rockets to the top of said list. Each of the journeys in The Scent Trail (to be reviewed later) is lovingly described in a way that makes me want to book a ticket immediately, but the one that particularly stands out is Mysore in India. So of course I looked it up to learn more about it.




The city is named after Mahishasura, a demon who was killed by the Hindu goddess Chamundeshwari. Every year her victory is celebrated during Dasara, a ten-day festival that I certainly wouldn't mind attending.



Mysore is called "City of Palaces" for obvious reasons. The architecture is beyond gorgeous. It is also known as a wonderful place to get essential oils and perfumes, such as patchouli, jasmine, sandalwood, and vetivert.



Pretty amazing, right? Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go reorganize my destination list . . .

Images via here, here, here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment